Donald J Johann Jr., MD
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Cancer Research Interest
- Type of Research: Basic
- Research Interest Statement: As both a principle investigator and medical oncologist I'm dedicated to developing more effective therapies for patients with cancer. The characterization of genetic-based alterations in model systems and bio-liquids using advanced molecular profiling and high-throughput technologies are active and significant interests. Areas of emphasis include: cancer biology, bioinformatics (NGS, mass spec-based proteomics), & laser capture microdissection (LCM), and drug development utilizing model systems. Prior to medical school, I worked as an engineer for the Sperry/Unisys Corp for seven years. Rising thru the ranks, I directed a group of five engineers on R&D projects involving systems level software (OS, compilers), avionic software, and advanced instrumentation.
- Email Address: DJJOHANN@UAMS.EDU
- Profiles Research Networking Software: View Profile
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration – HHSF2232016111C“Scientific and methodological advancement in liquid biopsies to further the development of lung cancer-based precision medicine (Bio 3)”Principal Investigator09/30/18 – 09/29/23
- Clarke CA, Lang K, Putcha G, [et al., including Johann DJ]. BLOODPAC: Collaborating to chart a path towards blood-based screening for early cancer detection. Clinical and translational science. 2023 16(1):5-9. PMID: 36251491. PMCID: PMC9841293.
- Johann DJ, Shin IJ, Roberge A, [et al.]. Effect of Antigen Retrieval on Genomic DNA From Immunodissected Samples. The journal of histochemistry and cytochemistry : official journal of the Histochemistry Society. 2022 70(9):643-658. PMID: 36129255. PMCID: PMC9527476.
- Zhang Y, Blomquist TM, Kusko R, [et al., including Johann DJ Jr]. Deep oncopanel sequencing reveals within block position-dependent quality degradation in FFPE processed samples. Genome biology. 2022 23(1):141. PMID: 35768876. PMCID: PMC9241261.
- Gong B, Deveson IW, Mercer T, [et al., including Johann DJ Jr]. Ultra-deep sequencing data from a liquid biopsy proficiency study demonstrating analytic validity. Scientific data. 2022 9(1):170. PMID: 35418127. PMCID: PMC9008010.
- Johann DJ Jr, Laun S, Shin IJ, [et al.]. Microdissection Methods Utilizing Single-Cell Subtype Analysis and the Impact on Precision Medicine. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 2022 2394:93-107. PMID: 35094324.
- Ma L, Peterson EA, Shin IJ, [et al., including Johann DJ]. An advanced molecular medicine case report of a rare human tumor using genomics, pathomics, and radiomics. Frontiers in genetics. 2022 13:987175. PMID: 36846293. PMCID: PMC9951004.
- Clemens MM, Kennon-McGill S, Vazquez JH, [et al., including Johann DJ]. Exogenous phosphatidic acid reduces acetaminophen-induced liver injury in mice by activating hepatic interleukin-6 signaling through inter-organ crosstalk. Acta pharmaceutica Sinica. B. 2021 11(12):3836-3846. PMID: 35024310. PMCID: PMC8727922.
- Li D, Kusko R, Ning B, [et al., including Johann DJ Jr]. FDA-led consortium studies advance quality control of targeted next generation sequencing assays for precision oncology. Precision cancer medicine. 2021 4. PMID: 35282311. PMCID: PMC8909622.
- Willey JC, Morrison TB, Austermiller B, [et al., including Johann DJ Jr]. Advancing NGS quality control to enable measurement of actionable mutations in circulating tumor DNA. Cell reports methods. 2021 1(7):100106. PMID: 35475002. PMCID: PMC9017191.
- Deveson IW, Gong B, Lai K, [et al., including Johann Jr D]. Evaluating the analytical validity of circulating tumor DNA sequencing assays for precision oncology. Nature biotechnology. 2021 39(9):1115-1128. PMID: 33846644. PMCID: PMC8434938.
- Jones W, Johann Jr D, Gong B, [et al.]. A verified genomic reference sample for assessing performance of cancer panels detecting small variants of low allele frequency. Genome biology. 2021 22(1):111. PMID: 33863366. PMCID: PMC8051128.
- Gong B, Li D, Kusko R, [et al., including Johann Jr D]. Cross-oncopanel study reveals high sensitivity and accuracy with overall analytical performance depending on genomic regions. Genome biology. 2021 22(1):109. PMID: 33863344. PMCID: PMC8051090.
- Ma L, Peterson EA, Shin IJ, [et al., including Johann DJ Jr]. NPARS-A Novel Approach to Address Accuracy and Reproducibility in Genomic Data Science. Frontiers in big data. 2021 4:725095. PMID: 34647017. PMCID: PMC8503682.
- Shibata T, Shah S, Evans T, [et al., including Johann D Jr]. Expansion of Human Papillomavirus-Specific T Cells in Periphery and Cervix in a Therapeutic Vaccine Recipient Whose Cervical High-Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion Regressed. Frontiers in immunology. 2021 12:645299. PMID: 34659195. PMCID: PMC8515132.
- Godsey JH, Silvestro A, Barrett JC, [et al., including Johann Jr D]. Generic Protocols for the Analytical Validation of Next-Generation Sequencing-Based ctDNA Assays: A Joint Consensus Recommendation of the BloodPAC's Analytical Variables Working Group. Clinical chemistry. 2020 66(9):1156-1166. PMID: 32870995. PMCID: PMC7462123.
- Vara N, Liu Y, Yan Y, [et al., including Johann DJ]. Sustained fetal hematopoiesis causes juvenile death from leukemia: evidence from a dual-age-specific mouse model. Blood advances. 2020 4(15):3728-3740. PMID: 32777070. PMCID: PMC7422126.
- Febbo PG, Martin AM, Scher HI, [et al., including Johann DJ]. Minimal Technical Data Elements for Liquid Biopsy Data Submitted to Public Databases. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2020 107(4).
- Ashby C, Peterson EA, Bauer M, Johann DJ. A Scalable and Adaptive Approach for NGS Analyses Leveraging High-Performance Computing. Pathological Specimens and Genomics Medicine: Emerging Issues. 2019:248.
- Ye X, Luke BT, Wei BR, [et al., including Johann DJ]. Direct molecular dissection of tumor parenchyma from tumor stroma in tumor xenograft using mass spectrometry-based glycoproteomics. Oncotarget. 2018 9(41):26431-26452. PMID: 29899869. PMCID: PMC5995176.
- Johann DJ Jr, Steliga M, Shin IJ, [et al.]. Liquid biopsy and its role in an advanced clinical trial for lung cancer. Experimental biology and medicine (Maywood, N.J.). 2018 243(3):262-271. PMID: 29405770. PMCID: PMC5813874.
- Prieto DA, Whitely G, Johann DJ Jr, Blonder J. Protocol for the Analysis of Laser Capture Microdissected Fresh-Frozen Tissue Homogenates by Silver-Stained 1D SDS-PAGE. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 2018 1723:95-110. PMID: 29344855.
- Ye X, Luke BT, Wei BR, [et al., including Johann DJ]. Direct Molecular Dissection of Tumor Parenchyma from Tumor Stroma in Tumor Xenografts Using Mass Spectrometry Based Glyco-Proteomics. Oncotarget. 2018:26431-26452.
- Hipp JD, Johann DJ, Chen Y, [et al.]. Computer-Aided Laser Dissection: A Microdissection Workflow Leveraging Image Analysis Tools. Journal of pathology informatics. 2018 9:45. PMID: 30622835. PMCID: PMC6298131.
- Prieto DA, Chan KC, Johann DJ Jr, [et al.]. Preparation and Immunoaffinity Depletion of Fresh Frozen Tissue Homogenates for Mass Spectrometry-Based Proteomics in the Context of Drug Target/Biomarker Discovery. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 2017 1647:71-90. PMID: 28808996.