Lauren Clai Elizabeth Morehead, MD, PhD
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Cancer Research Interest
- Disease Site Focus: Cutaneous/Melanoma
- Research Focus Area: Treatment
- Type of Research: Basic, Translational
- Research Keywords: melanoma, MHC-I, resveratrol, immune checkpoint inhibition
- Research Interest Statement: My research project is focused on the potential of resveratrol as an adjuvant to immune checkpoint blockade treatment for metastatic melanoma. Despite the substantial improvements in survival that immune checkpoint blockade has lent to melanoma treatment, only about half of all patients respond to it. One contributory factor to the success of immune checkpoint blockade is expression of MHC-I on tumor cells. MHC-I allows T-cells to recognize tumor cells as “foreign” so that they can be targeted and destroyed by the immune system. However, MHC-I expression is often downregulated in cancer cells. My preliminary research has indicated that resveratrol can potentiate MHC-I expression on cancer cells, with the mechanism being not well-defined. My goal is to explore the possibility of resveratrol as an immunostimulatory compound for the treatment of metastatic melanoma.
- Email Address: LCMOREHEAD@UAMS.EDU
- Morehead LC, Garg S, Wallis KF, [et al.]. Increased response to immune checkpoint inhibitors with dietary methionine restriction. bioRxiv : the preprint server for biology. 2023. PMID: 37066240. PMCID: PMC10104076.
- Garg S, Morehead LC, Bird JT, [et al.]. Characterization of methionine dependence in melanoma cells. bioRxiv : the preprint server for biology. 2023. PMID: 37066392. PMCID: PMC10104025.
- Wallis KF, Morehead LC, Bird JT, [et al.]. Differences in cell death in methionine versus cysteine depletion. Environmental and molecular mutagenesis. 2021. PMID: 33615565. PMCID: PMC8130902.
- Cannon MJ, Block MS, Morehead LC, Knutson KL. The evolving clinical landscape for dendritic cell vaccines and cancer immunotherapy. Immunotherapy. 2019 11(2):75-79. PMID: 30730268.
- Morehead LC, Cannon MJ. Further clinical advancement of dendritic cell vaccination against ovarian cancer. Annals of research hospitals. 2018 2. PMID: 30345421. PMCID: PMC6192055.