Samir V Jenkins, PhD
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Cancer Research Interest
- Disease Site Focus: Head and Neck, Melanoma, Breast, Thoracic/ Lung
- Research Focus Area: Treatment, Detection, Carcinogenesis
- Type of Research: Basic
- Research Keywords: Nanomaterials, Microbiome, Radiation
- Research Interest Statement: My primary research interests involve the development of novel therapeutics and treatment regimens for various tumor types. My educational background is in nanomaterials, and as such developing effective targeting strategies and multimodal nanomaterial based therapies is one of my primary research strategies. Therapeutically, I am interested in the combination of photothermal heating, radiation therapy, and drug delivery in the context of nanomaterials. Additionally, I focus on the interplay between immune response and radiation treatment, photodynamic therapy, or dysbiosis.
- Email Address: SVJENKINS@UAMS.EDU
- Profiles Research Networking Software: View Profile
- NIH/Nat. Cancer Institute – 1R01CA245083“Improvement of cellular immunotherapy during dysbi”Co-Investigator09/15/21 – 08/31/26
- Kore RA, Jenkins SV, Jamshidi-Parsian A, [et al.]. Proteomic analysis of transcription factors involved in the alteration of ischemic mouse heart as modulated by MSC exosomes. Biochemistry and biophysics reports. 2023 34:101463. PMID: 37125076. PMCID: PMC10130341.
- Nowak-Sliwinska P, van Beijnum JR, Griffioen CJ, [et al., including Jenkins SV]. Proinflammatory activity of VEGF-targeted treatment through reversal of tumor endothelial cell anergy. Angiogenesis. 2022. PMID: 36459240. PMCID: PMC10119234.
- Vasicek TW, Guillermo S, Swofford DR, [et al., including Jenkins SV]. ?-Glucosidase Immobilized on Magnetic Nanoparticles: Controlling Biomolecule Footprint and Particle Functional Group Density to Navigate the Activity-Stability Tradeoff. ACS applied bio materials. 2022 5(11):5347-5355. PMID: 36331934.
- Stolarz AJ, Chhetri BP, Borrelli MJ, [et al., including Jenkins SV]. Liposome Formulation for Tumor-Targeted Drug Delivery Using Radiation Therapy. International journal of molecular sciences. 2022 23(19). PMID: 36232973. PMCID: PMC9569741.
- Macchi S, Jalihal A, Hooshmand N, [et al., including Jenkins S]. Enhanced photothermal heating and combination therapy of NIR dye via conversion to self-assembled ionic nanomaterials. Journal of materials chemistry. B. 2022 10(5):806-816. PMID: 35043823. PMCID: PMC8928910.
- Jung S, Harris N, Niyonshuti II, [et al., including Jenkins SV]. Photothermal Response Induced by Nanocage-Coated Artificial Extracellular Matrix Promotes Neural Stem Cell Differentiation. Nanomaterials (Basel, Switzerland). 2021 11(5). PMID: 34064443. PMCID: PMC8147862.
- Jenkins SV, Alimohammadi M, Terry AS, [et al.]. Dysbiotic stress increases the sensitivity of the tumor vasculature to radiotherapy and c-Met inhibitors. Angiogenesis. 2021. PMID: 33629198. PMCID: PMC8295215.
- Johnsrud AJ, Jenkins SV, Jamshidi-Parsian A, [et al.]. Evidence for Early Stage Anti-Tumor Immunity Elicited by Spatially Fractionated Radiotherapy-Immunotherapy Combinations. Radiation research. 2020 194(6):688-697. PMID: 33348372. PMCID: PMC8008989.
- Jenkins SV, Robeson MS 2nd, Griffin RJ, [et al.]. Gastrointestinal Tract Dysbiosis Enhances Distal Tumor Progression through Suppression of Leukocyte Trafficking. Cancer research. 2019 79(23):5999-6009. PMID: 31591154. PMCID: PMC6891208.
- Paidi SK, Diaz PM, Dadgar S, [et al., including Jenkins SV]. Label-Free Raman Spectroscopy Reveals Signatures of Radiation Resistance in the Tumor Microenvironment. Cancer research. 2019 79(8):2054-2064. PMID: 30819665. PMCID: PMC6467810.
- Jenkins SV, Nedosekin DA, Shaulis BJ, [et al.]. Enhanced Photothermal Treatment Efficacy and Normal Tissue Protection via Vascular Targeted Gold Nanocages. Nanotheranostics. 2019 3(2):145-155. PMID: 31008023. PMCID: PMC6470343.
- Jenkins SV, Vang KB, Gies A, [et al.]. Sample storage conditions induce post-collection biases in microbiome profiles. BMC microbiology. 2018 18(1):227. PMID: 30591021. PMCID: PMC6307155.
- Vargas I, Alhallak K, Kolenc OI, [et al., including Jenkins SV]. Rapid quantification of mitochondrial fractal dimension in individual cells. Biomedical optics express. 2018 9(11):5269-5279. PMID: 30460127. PMCID: PMC6238904.
- Diaz PM, Jenkins SV, Alhallak K, [et al.]. Quantitative diffuse reflectance spectroscopy of short-term changes in tumor oxygenation after radiation in a matched model of radiation resistance. Biomedical optics express. 2018 9(8):3794-3804. PMID: 30338156. PMCID: PMC6191608.
- Kore RA, Edmondson JL, Jenkins SV, [et al.]. Hypoxia-derived exosomes induce putative altered pathways in biosynthesis and ion regulatory channels in glioblastoma cells. Biochemistry and biophysics reports. 2018 14:104-113. PMID: 29872742. PMCID: PMC5986551.
- Lee DE, Alhallak K, Jenkins SV, [et al.]. A Radiosensitizing Inhibitor of HIF-1 alters the Optical Redox State of Human Lung Cancer Cells In Vitro. Scientific reports. 2018 8(1):8815. PMID: 29891977. PMCID: PMC5995847.
- Meeker DG, Wang T, Harrington WN, [et al., including Jenkins SV]. Versatility of targeted antibiotic-loaded gold nanoconstructs for the treatment of biofilm-associated bacterial infections. International journal of hyperthermia : the official journal of European Society for Hyperthermic Oncology, North American Hyperthermia Group. 2018 34(2):209-219. PMID: 29025325. PMCID: PMC6095133.
- Jenkins SV, Nedosekin DA, Miller EK, [et al.]. Galectin-1-based tumour-targeting for gold nanostructure-mediated photothermal therapy. International journal of hyperthermia : the official journal of European Society for Hyperthermic Oncology, North American Hyperthermia Group. 2018 34(1):19-29. PMID: 28540812. PMCID: PMC5872830.
- Vasicek TW, Jenkins SV, Vaz L, [et al.]. Thermoresponsive nanoparticle agglomeration/aggregation in salt solutions: Dependence on graft density. Journal of colloid and interface science. 2017 506:338-345. PMID: 28743029.
- Alhallak K, Jenkins SV, Lee DE, [et al.]. Optical imaging of radiation-induced metabolic changes in radiation-sensitive and resistant cancer cells. Journal of biomedical optics. 2017 22(6):60502. PMID: 28622395. PMCID: PMC5499259.
- Jenkins SV, Nima ZA, Vang KB, [et al.]. Triple-negative breast cancer targeting and killing by EpCAM-directed, plasmonically active nanodrug systems. NPJ precision oncology. 2017 1(1):27. PMID: 29872709. PMCID: PMC5871908.