Laura Elizabeth Ewing, PhD
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Cancer Research Interest
- Disease Site Focus: Gynecology
- Research Focus Area: Treatment, Informatics
- Type of Research: Basic
- Research Keywords: ovarian cancer, microbiome
- Research Interest Statement: My primary research interests are in evaluating the effects of the microbiome on the development, progression, and treatment of ovarian cancer. The microbiome can affect metabolism of therapeutics and alter both inflammatory and immune cell processes, which can in turn affect antibody-based therapies.
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- US Department of Defense – W81XWH-17-1-0225“Glutaminase 1 and PARP Inhibitors”Co-Investigator12/15/20 – 12/14/23
- Nemec-Bakk AS, Sridharan V, Seawright JW, [et al., including Ewing LE]. Effects of proton and oxygen ion irradiation on cardiovascular function and structure in a rabbit model. Life sciences in space research. 2023 37:78-87. PMID: 37087182. PMCID: PMC10122719.
- Ewing LE, Pathak R, Landes RD, [et al.]. Cytogenetic and epigenetic aberrations in peripheral lymphocytes of northwest Arkansas Marshallese. International journal of radiation biology. 2022:1-12. PMID: 35939319. PMCID: PMC9929030.
- Ewing LE, Biju PG, Pathak R, [et al.]. Methods for induction and assessment of intestinal permeability in rodent models of radiation injury. Methods in cell biology. 2022 168:235-247. PMID: 35366985. PMCID: PMC9808921.
- Kutanzi KR, Ewing LE, Skinner CM, [et al.]. Safety and Molecular-Toxicological Implications of Cannabidiol-Rich Cannabis Extract and Methylsulfonylmethane Co-Administration. International journal of molecular sciences. 2020 21(20). PMID: 33096940. PMCID: PMC7656295.
- Ewing LE, Skinner CM, Pathak R, [et al.]. Dietary Methionine Supplementation Exacerbates Gastrointestinal Toxicity in a Mouse Model of Abdominal Irradiation. International journal of radiation oncology, biology, physics. 2020. PMID: 33002540. PMCID: PMC7855316.
- Hay CE, Ewing LE, Hambuchen MD, [et al.]. The Development and Characterization of an scFv-Fc Fusion-Based Gene Therapy to Reduce the Psychostimulant Effects of Methamphetamine Abuse. The Journal of pharmacology and experimental therapeutics. 2020 374(1):16-23. PMID: 32245884. PMCID: PMC7289050.
- Miousse IR, Ewing LE, Skinner CM, [et al.]. Methionine dietary supplementation potentiates ionizing radiation-induced gastrointestinal syndrome. American journal of physiology. Gastrointestinal and liver physiology. 2020 318(3):G439-G450. PMID: 31961718. PMCID: PMC7099489.
- Skinner CM, Nookaew I, Ewing LE, [et al.]. Potential Probiotic or Trigger of Gut Inflammation - The Janus-Faced Nature of Cannabidiol-Rich Cannabis Extract. Journal of dietary supplements. 2020 17(5):543-560. PMID: 32400224. PMCID: PMC7470626.
- Ewing LE, McGill MR, Yee EU, [et al.]. Paradoxical Patterns of Sinusoidal Obstruction Syndrome-Like Liver Injury in Aged Female CD-1 Mice Triggered by Cannabidiol-Rich Cannabis Extract and Acetaminophen Co-Administration. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland). 2019 24(12). PMID: 31212965. PMCID: PMC6630875.
- Ewing LE, Skinner CM, Quick CM, [et al.]. Hepatotoxicity of a Cannabidiol-Rich Cannabis Extract in the Mouse Model. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland). 2019 24(9). PMID: 31052254. PMCID: PMC6539990.
- Gurley BJ, Miousse IR, Nookaew I, [et al., including Ewing LE]. Decaffeinated Green Tea Extract Does Not Elicit Hepatotoxic Effects and Modulates the Gut Microbiome in Lean B6C3F? Mice. Nutrients. 2019 11(4). PMID: 30987244. PMCID: PMC6521095.
- Wilson CD, Tai S, Ewing L, [et al.]. Convulsant Effects of Abused Synthetic Cannabinoids JWH-018 and 5F-AB-PINACA Are Mediated by Agonist Actions at CB1 Receptors in Mice. The Journal of pharmacology and experimental therapeutics. 2019 368(2):146-156. PMID: 30420360. PMCID: PMC6323622.
- Ewing LE, Miousse IR, Pathak R, [et al.]. NZO/HlLtJ as a novel model for the studies on the role of metabolic syndrome in acute radiation toxicity. International journal of radiation biology. 2018:1-21. PMID: 30561233. PMCID: PMC6581619.
- Skinner CM, Miousse IR, Ewing LE, [et al.]. Impact of obesity on the toxicity of a multi-ingredient dietary supplement, OxyELITE Pro? (New Formula), using the novel NZO/HILtJ obese mouse model: Physiological and mechanistic assessments. Food and chemical toxicology : an international journal published for the British Industrial Biological Research Association. 2018 122:21-32. PMID: 30282009. PMCID: PMC6219625.
- Miousse IR, Ewing LE, Kutanzi KR, [et al.]. DNA Methylation in Radiation-Induced Carcinogenesis: Experimental Evidence and Clinical Perspectives. Critical reviews in oncogenesis. 2018 23(1-2):1-11. PMID: 29953365. PMCID: PMC6369919.
- Hay CE, Gonzalez GA 3rd, Ewing LE, [et al.]. Development and testing of AAV-delivered single-chain variable fragments for the treatment of methamphetamine abuse. PloS one. 2018 13(6):e0200060. PMID: 29958300. PMCID: PMC6025879.
- Lin H, Ewing LE, Koturbash I, [et al.]. MicroRNAs as biomarkers for liver injury: Current knowledge, challenges and future prospects. Food and chemical toxicology : an international journal published for the British Industrial Biological Research Association. 2017 110:229-239. PMID: 29042291. PMCID: PMC6693868.
- Miousse IR, Skinner CM, Lin H, [et al., including Ewing LE]. Safety assessment of the dietary supplement OxyELITE? Pro (New Formula) in inbred and outbred mouse strains. Food and chemical toxicology : an international journal published for the British Industrial Biological Research Association. 2017 109(Pt 1):194-209. PMID: 28843594. PMCID: PMC6756457.
- Hambuchen MD, Hendrickson HP, Gunnell MG, [et al., including Ewing LE]. The pharmacokinetics of racemic MDPV and its (R) and (S) enantiomers in female and male rats. Drug and alcohol dependence. 2017 179:347-354. PMID: 28844011. PMCID: PMC5600196.
- Peterson EC, Ewing LE. Nanomedicine: Going small to beat the high. Nature nanotechnology. 2016 11(7):580-1. PMID: 26974956.