Ryan Michael Porter, PhD
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Cancer Research Interest
- Research Interest Statement: My lab is focused on musculoskeletal regenerative medicine, with particularly emphasis on the appendicular skeleton (long bones and synovial joints). Within this general theme, there are multiple directions with relevance to cancer therapy. For example, we are interested in improving the management of skeletal defects that result from surgical tumor removal or radiation therapy. Some of this work involves the application of culture-expanded mesenchymal stem cells and their secreted extracellular vesicles for improving defect repair; for patients that have undergone cancer treatment, it will be critical to understand the potential of these exogenous biologics for promoting cancer recurrence. In addition to stem cell-based therapeutics, we are also developing drug delivery strategies that target cartilage; such strategies have the potential to improve drug targeting of skeletal cancers (e.g., chondrosarcoma, osteosarcoma).
- Email Address: RMPORTER@UAMS.EDU
- Profiles Research Networking Software: View Profile
- NIH/Nat. Inst. of Arthritis & Musculoskeletal & Skin Diseases – 1R01AR075121“Depot delivery of electrically-charged IL-1RA”Principal Investigator09/21/20 – 07/31/25
- Williams T, Salmanian G, Burns M, [et al., including Porter RM]. Versatility of mesenchymal stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles in tissue repair and regenerative applications. Biochimie. 2022. PMID: 36427681.
- Panos JA, Coenen MJ, Nagelli CV, [et al., including Porter RM]. IL-1Ra gene transfer potentiates BMP2-mediated bone healing by redirecting osteogenesis toward endochondral ossification. Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy. 2022. PMID: 36245128. PMCID: PMC9931547.
- He T, Zhang C, Colombani T, [et al., including Porter RM]. Intra-articular kinetics of a cartilage targeting cationic PEGylated protein for applications in drug delivery. Osteoarthritis and cartilage. 2022. PMID: 36241136. PMCID: PMC9892226.
- Ferreira E, Gatrell LB, Childress L, [et al., including Porter RM]. A Transgenic Rat for Noninvasive Assessment of Chondrogenesis in Vivo. Cartilage. 2021:19476035211057243. PMID: 34809478. PMCID: PMC8804729.
- Almeida M, Kim HN, Han L, [et al., including Porter RM]. Increased marrow adipogenesis does not contribute to age-dependent appendicular bone loss in female mice. Aging cell. 2020:e13247. PMID: 33048436. PMCID: PMC7681065.
- He T, Zhang C, Vedadghavami A, [et al., including Porter RM]. Multi-arm Avidin nano-construct for intra-cartilage delivery of small molecule drugs. Journal of controlled release : official journal of the Controlled Release Society. 2020 318:109-123. PMID: 31843642. PMCID: PMC7424591.
- Mehta S, Akhtar S, Porter RM, [et al.]. Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1Ra) is more effective in suppressing cytokine-induced catabolism in cartilage-synovium co-culture than in cartilage monoculture. Arthritis research & therapy. 2019 21(1):238. PMID: 31722745. PMCID: PMC6854651.
- Almeida M, Porter RM. Sirtuins and FoxOs in osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. Bone. 2019 121:284-292. PMID: 30738214. PMCID: PMC6812652.
- De la Vega RE, Scheu M, Brown LA, [et al., including Porter RM]. Specific, Sensitive, and Stable Reporting of Human Mesenchymal Stromal Cell Chondrogenesis. Tissue engineering. Part C, Methods. 2019 25(3):176-190. PMID: 30727864. PMCID: PMC6457328.
- Martin-Pena A, Porter RM, Plumton G, [et al.]. Lentiviral-based reporter constructs for profiling chondrogenic activity in primary equine cell populations. European cells & materials. 2018 36:156-170. PMID: 30311630. PMCID: PMC6788286.
- Ferreira E, Porter RM. Harnessing extracellular vesicles to direct endochondral repair of large bone defects. Bone & joint research. 2018 7(4):263-273. PMID: 29922444. PMCID: PMC5987693.
- De La Vega RE, De Padilla CL, Trujillo M, [et al., including Porter RM]. Contribution of Implanted, Genetically Modified Muscle Progenitor Cells Expressing BMP-2 to New Bone Formation in a Rat Osseous Defect. Molecular therapy : the journal of the American Society of Gene Therapy. 2018 26(1):208-218. PMID: 29107477. PMCID: PMC5763073.
- Bajpayee AG, De la Vega RE, Scheu M, [et al., including Porter RM]. Sustained intra-cartilage delivery of low dose dexamethasone using a cationic carrier for treatment of post traumatic osteoarthritis. European cells & materials. 2017 34:341-364. PMID: 29205258. PMCID: PMC5744663.
- Liu F, Wells JW, Porter RM, [et al.]. Interaction between living bone particles and rhBMP-2 in large segmental defect healing in the rat femur. Journal of orthopaedic research : official publication of the Orthopaedic Research Society. 2016 34(12):2137-2145. PMID: 27037517. PMCID: PMC5367769.