Benjamin C Amick III, PhD
Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences
Associate Dean for Research and Professor of Epidemiology
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Public Health
Cancer Research Interest
- Research Interest Statement: I am currently collaborating with a group at University of Groningen Medical Center in The Netherlands where we build a prospective cohort that followed cancer survivors over 2 years. We are still publishing off that data and I will be replicating the cohort in the US with a focus on health disparities.
- Email Address: BCAMICK@UAMS.EDU
- Profiles Research Networking Software: View Profile
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health – 1R03OH012121“R03 resub-Poultry and Non-Poultry Worker Mortality”Principal Investigator09/30/21 – 09/29/23
- de Groot S, Veldman K, Amick BC, BÃ¼ltmann U. Single and cumulative exposure to psychosocial work conditions and mental health among young adults. European journal of public health. 2023 33(2):257-263. PMID: 36792962. PMCID: PMC10066491.
- Ehrenstein JK, Duijts SFA, van Zon SKR, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Establishing General Working Population Norms for the Cognitive Symptom Checklist-Work. Journal of occupational rehabilitation. 2023. PMID: 36935459.
- Allen JL, Du R, Powell T, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Characterizing Cancer and Work Disparities Using Electronic Health Records. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2022 19(23). PMID: 36497959. PMCID: PMC9740124.
- Norton JC, Politis MD, Bimali M, [et al., including Amick BC]. Analysis of COVID-19 Pandemic on Supplement Usage and Its Combination with Self-Medication within the State of Arkansas. Journal of dietary supplements. 2022:1-28. PMID: 36178162. PMCID: PMC10033323.
- Allen JL, Wiginton K, Nakarmi J, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Physical Activity as a Mediator for Health Outcomes Among Sexual Minority Adults. LGBT health. 2022. PMID: 36173753.
- Michaelis M, Rieger MA, Burgess S, [et al., including Amick BC]. Evaluation of measurement properties of the German Work Role Functioning Questionnaire. BMC public health. 2022 22(1):1750. PMID: 36109729. PMCID: PMC9479368.
- Chaumont MenÃ©ndez C, Munoz R, Walker TJ, Amick BC 3rd. Assessing the Australian occupational driver behavior questionnaire in U.S. taxi drivers: Different country, different occupation and different worker population. Journal of safety research. 2022 82:409-416. PMID: 36031271. PMCID: PMC9429817.
- Patel JR, Amick BC, Vyas KS, [et al.]. Racial disparities in symptomatology and outcomes of COVID-19 among adults of Arkansas. Preventive medicine reports. 2022 28:101840. PMID: 35634216. PMCID: PMC9128301.
- Sherman AC, Williams ML, Amick BC, [et al.]. Adjustment to the COVID-19 pandemic: associations with global and situational meaning. Current psychology (New Brunswick, N.J.). 2022:1-16. PMID: 35813567. PMCID: PMC9256532.
- Figueiredo JC, Hirsch FR, Kushi LH, [et al., including Amick BC]. Mission, Organization, and Future Direction of the Serological Sciences Network for COVID-19 (SeroNet) Epidemiologic Cohort Studies. Open forum infectious diseases. 2022 9(6):ofac171. PMID: 35765315. PMCID: PMC9129196.
- Kennedy JL, Forrest JC, Young SG, [et al., including Amick B]. Temporal Variations in Seroprevalence of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Infections by Race and Ethnicity in Arkansas. Open forum infectious diseases. 2022 9(5):ofac154. PMID: 35493126. PMCID: PMC9045955.
- Ehrenstein JK, van Zon SKR, Duijts SFA, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Trajectories of cognitive symptoms and associated factors in cancer survivors after return to work: an 18-month longitudinal cohort study. Journal of cancer survivorship : research and practice. 2022. PMID: 35312951. PMCID: PMC10036271.
- Donovan CV, Rose C, Lewis KN, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. SARS-CoV-2 Incidence in K-12 School Districts with Mask-Required Versus Mask-Optional Policies - Arkansas, August-October 2021. MMWR. Morbidity and mortality weekly report. 2022 71(10):384-389. PMID: 35271560. PMCID: PMC8912000.
- Cardenas VM, Kennedy JL, Williams M, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. State-wide random seroprevalence survey of SARS-CoV-2 past infection in a southern US State, 2020. PloS one. 2022 17(4):e0267322. PMID: 35476717. PMCID: PMC9045671.
- Macpherson RA, He A, Amick Iii BC, [et al.]. Evaluating effectiveness of an integrated return-to-work and vocational rehabilitation program on work disability duration in the construction sector. Scandinavian journal of work, environment & health. 2021. PMID: 34902046. PMCID: PMC9523466.
- Porter A, Brown CC, Tilford JM, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Association of the COVID-19 pandemic and dying at home due to ischemic heart disease. Preventive medicine. 2021 153:106818. PMID: 34599924. PMCID: PMC8480010.
- de Groot S, Veldman K, Amick Iii BC, BÃ¼ltmann U. Work functioning among young adults: the role of mental health problems from childhood to young adulthood. Occupational and environmental medicine. 2021. PMID: 34711660. PMCID: PMC8921561.
- Van Eerd D, D'Elia T, Ferron EM, [et al., including Amick B 3rd]. Implementation of participatory organizational change in long term care to improve safety. Journal of safety research. 2021 78:9-18. PMID: 34399935.
- Dorland HF, Abma FI, Roelen CAM, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Validation of the Work Role Functioning Questionnaire 2.0 in cancer patients. European journal of cancer care. 2021 30(4):e13420. PMID: 33538368. PMCID: PMC8365733.
- Sherman AC, Park CL, Salsman JM, [et al., including Amick BC]. Anxiety, depressive, and trauma symptoms during the COVID-19 pandemic: Evaluating the role of disappointment with God. Journal of affective disorders. 2021 293:245-253. PMID: 34217962. PMCID: PMC8437139.
- de Groot S, Veldman K, Amick Iii BC, [et al.]. Does the timing and duration of mental health problems during childhood and adolescence matter for labour market participation of young adults?. Journal of epidemiology and community health. 2021. PMID: 33558429. PMCID: PMC8372381.
- McElfish PA, Willis DE, Bogulski C, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. COVID-19 Vaccine Willingness and Hesitancy Among Marshallese Pacific Islanders. Journal of patient experience. 2021 8:23743735211056428. PMID: 34825050. PMCID: PMC8609098.
- Sherman AC, Williams ML, Amick BC, [et al.]. Mental health outcomes associated with the COVID-19 pandemic: Prevalence and risk factors in a southern US state. Psychiatry research. 2020 293:113476. PMID: 33198047. PMCID: PMC7513769.
- Robson LS, Lee H, Amick Iii BC, [et al.]. Preventing fall-from-height injuries in construction: Effectiveness of a regulatory training standard. Journal of safety research. 2020 74:271-278. PMID: 32951792.
- van Zon SKR, Amick Iii BC, de Jong T, [et al.]. Occupational distribution of metabolic syndrome prevalence and incidence differs by sex and is not explained by age and health behavior: results from 75 000 Dutch workers from 40 occupational groups. BMJ open diabetes research & care. 2020 8(1). PMID: 32636219. PMCID: PMC7342434.
- Macpherson RA, Amick BC 3rd, Collie A, [et al.]. Urban-Rural Differences in the Duration of Injury-Related Work Disability in Six Canadian Provinces. Journal of occupational and environmental medicine. 2020 62(5):e200-e207. PMID: 32149942.
- BÃ¼ltmann U, Arends I, Veldman K, [et al., including Amick Iii BC]. Investigating young adults' mental health and early working life trajectories from a life course perspective: the role of transitions. Journal of epidemiology and community health. 2020 74(2):179-181. PMID: 31694872. PMCID: PMC6993030.
- Gerasimaviciute V, BÃ¼ltmann U, Diamond PM, [et al., including Amick Iii BC]. Reciprocal associations between depression, anxiety and work-related injury. Injury prevention : journal of the International Society for Child and Adolescent Injury Prevention. 2019. PMID: 31685530. PMCID: PMC8856579.
- Arends I, Almansa J, Stansfeld SA, [et al., including Amick BC]. One-year trajectories of mental health and work outcomes post return to work in patients with common mental disorders. Journal of affective disorders. 2019 257:263-270. PMID: 31302514.
- Macpherson RA, Koehoorn M, Fan J, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Do Differences in Work Disability Duration Between Men and Women Vary by Province in Canada?. Journal of occupational rehabilitation. 2019 29(3):560-568. PMID: 30506114. PMCID: PMC6675772.
- Tullar JM, Walker TJ, Page TF, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Evaluation of a Worksite-Based Small Group Team Challenge to Increase Physical Activity. American journal of health promotion : AJHP. 2019 33(2):259-266. PMID: 29996662. PMCID: PMC6383520.
- Abma F, Bjorner JB, Amick BC 3rd, BÃ¼ltmann U. Two valid and reliable work role functioning questionnaire short versions were developed: WRFQ 5 and WRFQ 10. Journal of clinical epidemiology. 2019 105:101-111. PMID: 30253219.
- Biswas A, Severin CN, Smith PM, [et al., including Amick BC III]. Larger Workplaces, People-Oriented Culture, and Specific Industry Sectors Are Associated with Co-Occurring Health Protection and Wellness Activities. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2018 15(12). PMID: 30518161. PMCID: PMC6313504.
- Fan JK, Amick Iii BC, Richardson L, [et al.]. Labor market and health trajectories during periods of economic recession and expansion in the United States, 1988?2011. Scandinavian journal of work, environment & health. 2018 44(6):639-646. PMID: 29893980.
- Abma FI, BÃ¼ltmann U, Amick Iii BC, [et al.]. The Work Role Functioning Questionnaire v2.0 Showed Consistent Factor Structure Across Six Working Samples. Journal of occupational rehabilitation. 2018 28(3):465-474. PMID: 28889328. PMCID: PMC6096509.
- Dorland HF, Abma FI, Roelen CAM, [et al., including Amick BC]. Work-specific cognitive symptoms and the role of work characteristics, fatigue, and depressive symptoms in cancer patients during 18Â months post return to work. Psycho-oncology. 2018 27(9):2229-2236. PMID: 29920845.
- Vieira ER, Da Silva RA, Severi MT, [et al., including Amick Iii BC]. Balance and Gait of Frail, Pre-Frail, and Robust Older Hispanics. Geriatrics (Basel, Switzerland). 2018 3(3). PMID: 31011080. PMCID: PMC6319215.
- Dorland HF, Abma FI, Van Zon SKR, [et al., including Amick BC]. Fatigue and depressive symptoms improve but remain negatively related to work functioning over 18 months after return to work in cancer patients. Journal of cancer survivorship : research and practice. 2018 12(3):371-378. PMID: 29404835. PMCID: PMC5956033.
- Van Eerd D, Ferron EM, D'Elia T, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Process evaluation of a participatory organizational change program to reduce musculoskeletal and slip, trip and fall injuries. Applied ergonomics. 2018 68:42-53. PMID: 29409654.
- Cullen KL, Irvin E, Collie A, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Effectiveness of Workplace Interventions in Return-to-Work for Musculoskeletal, Pain-Related and Mental Health Conditions: An Update of the Evidence and Messages for Practitioners. Journal of occupational rehabilitation. 2018 28(1):1-15. PMID: 28224415. PMCID: PMC5820404.
- Johansen T, Lund T, Jensen C, [et al., including Amick B]. Cross-cultural adaptation of the Work Role Functioning Questionnaire 2.0 to Norwegian and Danish. Work (Reading, Mass.). 2018 59(4):471-478. PMID: 29733048. PMCID: PMC5929307.
- Walker TJ, Tullar JM, Diamond PM, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Validity and Reliability of the 8-Item Work Limitations Questionnaire. Journal of occupational rehabilitation. 2017 27(4):576-583. PMID: 28025750. PMCID: PMC5484749.
- Walker TJ, Tullar JM, Diamond PM, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. The Relation of Combined Aerobic and Muscle-Strengthening Physical Activities With Presenteeism. Journal of physical activity & health. 2017 14(11):893-898. PMID: 28682653. PMCID: PMC5653426.
- Dorland HF, Abma FI, Roelen CAM, [et al., including Amick BC]. Work functioning trajectories in cancer patients: Results from the longitudinal Work Life after Cancer (WOLICA) study. International journal of cancer. 2017 141(9):1751-1762. PMID: 28681478.
- Walker TJ, Tullar JM, Diamond PM, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. The longitudinal relation between self-reported physical activity and presenteeism. Preventive medicine. 2017 102:120-126. PMID: 28694058. PMCID: PMC5586142.
- Amick BC 3rd, Lee H, Hogg-Johnson S, [et al.]. How Do Organizational Policies and Practices Affect Return to Work and Work Role Functioning Following a Musculoskeletal Injury?. Journal of occupational rehabilitation. 2017 27(3):393-404. PMID: 27654622.
- Robson LS, Ibrahim S, Hogg-Johnson S, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Developing leading indicators from OHS management audit data: Determining the measurement properties of audit data from the field. Journal of safety research. 2017 61:93-103. PMID: 28454876.
- Walker TJ, Tullar JM, Diamond PM, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. Association of Self-Reported Aerobic Physical Activity, Muscle-Strengthening Physical Activity, and Stretching Behavior With Presenteeism. Journal of occupational and environmental medicine. 2017 59(5):474-479. PMID: 28379877. PMCID: PMC5423824.
- Nehme EK, PÃ©rez A, Ranjit N, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. The Effect of New Shower Facilities on Physical Activity Behaviors of Employees: A Quasi-experiment. Journal of physical activity & health. 2017 14(2):98-107. PMID: 27775466.
- Walker TJ, Tullar JM, Taylor WC, [et al., including Amick BC 3rd]. How Do Stages of Change for Physical Activity Relate to Employee Sign-Up for and Completion of a Worksite Physical Activity Competition?. Health promotion practice. 2017 18(1):93-101. PMID: 27458001.
- Williams-Whitt K, BÃ¼ltmann U, Amick B 3rd, [et al.]. Workplace Interventions to Prevent Disability from Both the Scientific and Practice Perspectives: A Comparison of Scientific Literature, Grey Literature and Stakeholder Observations. Journal of occupational rehabilitation. 2016 26(4):417-433. PMID: 27614465. PMCID: PMC5104758.
- Ammendolia C, CÃ´tÃ© P, Cancelliere C, [et al., including Amick B 3rd]. Healthy and productive workers: using intervention mapping to design a workplace health promotion and wellness program to improve presenteeism. BMC public health. 2016 16(1):1190. PMID: 27884132. PMCID: PMC5123329.
- Rusk A, Highfield L, Wilkerson JM, [et al., including Amick B]. Geographically-weighted regression of knowledge and behaviour determinants to anti-malarial recommending and dispensing practice among medicine retailers in western Kenya: capacitating targeted interventions. Malaria journal. 2016 15(1):562. PMID: 27871303. PMCID: PMC5117492.
- Tullar JM, Amick BC 3rd, Brewer S, [et al.]. Improve employee engagement to retain your workforce. Health care management review. 2016 41(4):316-24. PMID: 26207655.
- Amick BC, McLeod CB, BÃ¼ltmann U. Labor markets and health: an integrated life course perspective. Scandinavian journal of work, environment & health. 2016 42(4):346-53. PMID: 27158797.