Ganesh Narayanasamy, PhD
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Cancer Research Interest
- Disease Site Focus: Brain, GI, GU, Thoracic/ Lung, Head and Neck
- Research Focus Area: Treatment, Informatics, Detection, Diagnosis/ Prognosis
- Type of Research: Clinical
- Research Interest Statement: Dr. Narayanasamy’s research interests include dosimetric studies in radiation therapy, assessment of new and existing technologies in radiation therapy, and study of radiation biology. He currently pursues a series of radiation studies on lung tumors while minimizing radiation toxicity to normal tissue from using a specialized treatment technique, Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT). Dosimetric comparison between treatment planning systems has been my special research interest. While Eclipse Varian TPS has set benchmarks for industry standards, Raystation TPS provides “Robust Optimization” and “Multi-criteria optimization” features that reduces the integral dose for a given prescription dose (Rx). Brainlab Elements have provided fast and reliable way to treat multiple brain tumors using a single isocenter with substantial savings in treatment time. Patient discomfort and possible patient motion during treatment are also minimized.In addition, Dr. Narayanasamy has recently commissioned a small-animal irradiator facility at the UAMS College of Pharmacy Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences with Cesium-137 source. Irradiation using this low dose rate device on small animals with hind-limb suspension mimics zero gravity environment. I have been involved in a multitude of small animal studies that take place in the small animal conformal radiation treatment and imaging device that has the unique capability to perform spatially fractionated (grid) treatments and cone-beam CT guided image guided radiotherapy (IGRT) in Radiation Oncology department.
- Email Address: GANESH@UAMS.EDU
- Profiles Research Networking Software: View Profile
- Petragallo R, Bertram P, Halvorsen P, [et al., including Narayanasamy G]. Development and multi-institutional validation of a convolutional neural network to detect vertebral body mis-alignments in 2D x-ray setup images. Medical physics. 2023. PMID: 36908243.
- Hammers J, Lindsay D, Narayanasamy G, [et al.]. Evaluation of the clinical impact of the differences between planned and delivered dose in prostate cancer radiotherapy based on CT-on-rails IGRT and patient-reported outcome scores. Journal of applied clinical medical physics. 2023 24(1):e13780. PMID: 36087039. PMCID: PMC9859987.
- Nissen C, Ying J, Newkirk M, [et al., including Narayanasamy G]. An Analysis of Risk Factors for Radiation Necrosis Following Cranial Radiation. Cureus. 2022 14(9):e29268. PMID: 36133504. PMCID: PMC9482441.
- Frometa-Castillo T, Pyakuryal A, Narayanasamy G, [et al.]. The use of the normal tissue non-complication probability (NTCP0) in the safety evaluations as a new alternative of assessing the side-effects of the radiation oncology treatments. International journal of radiation biology. 2022:1-7. PMID: 35930494.
- Shrestha N, Narayanasamy G, Kalantari F, [et al.]. A phantom-based study and clinical implementation of Brainlab's treatment planning system for radiosurgical treatments of arteriovenous malformations. Biomedical physics & engineering express. 2022. PMID: 35856850.
- Deshazer G, Narayanasamy G, Bimali M, [et al.]. A dosimetric comparative analysis of Brainlab elements and Eclipse RapidArc for spine SBRT treatment planning. Biomedical physics & engineering express. 2022 8(2). PMID: 35086071.
- Frometa-Castillo T, Pyakuryal A, Narayanasamy G, [et al.]. The use of the normal tissue non-complication probability (NTCP0) methodology as a new alternative of assessing side-effects in brachytherapy treatments. Reports of practical oncology and radiotherapy : journal of Greatpoland Cancer Center in Poznan and Polish Society of Radiation Oncology. 2022 27(4):602-609. PMID: 36196423. PMCID: PMC9521694.
- Manavalan M, Durai M, Narayanasamy G, [et al.]. Output factor measurements with multiple detectors in CyberKnifeÂ® Robotic Radiosurgery System. Journal of cancer research and therapeutics. 2021 17(4):870-874. PMID: 34528534.
- Sadhukhan R, Majumdar D, Garg S, [et al., including Narayanasamy G]. Simultaneous exposure to chronic irradiation and simulated microgravity differentially alters immune cell phenotype in mouse thymus and spleen. Life sciences in space research. 2021 28:66-73. PMID: 33612181. PMCID: PMC7900614.
- Desai D, Narayanasamy G, Bimali M, [et al.]. Cleaning the dose falloff in lung SBRT plan. Journal of applied clinical medical physics. 2020. PMID: 33285036. PMCID: PMC7856511.
- Johnsrud AJ, Jenkins SV, Jamshidi-Parsian A, [et al., including Narayanasamy G]. Evidence for Early Stage Anti-Tumor Immunity Elicited by Spatially Fractionated Radiotherapy-Immunotherapy Combinations. Radiation research. 2020 194(6):688-697. PMID: 33348372. PMCID: PMC8008989.
- Veluvolu M, Patel M, Narayanasamy G, Kim T. Definitive single fraction stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for inoperable early-stage breast cancer: A case report. Reports of practical oncology and radiotherapy : journal of Greatpoland Cancer Center in Poznan and Polish Society of Radiation Oncology. 2020 25(5):760-764. PMID: 32742200. PMCID: PMC7387738.
- Bosse C, Narayanasamy G, Saenz D, [et al.]. Dose Calculation Comparisons between Three Modern Treatment Planning Systems. Journal of medical physics. 2020 45(3):143-147. PMID: 33487926. PMCID: PMC7810148.
- Alexandrian AN, Mavroidis P, Narayanasamy G, [et al.]. Incorporating biological modeling into patient-specific plan verification. Journal of applied clinical medical physics. 2020 21(3):94-107. PMID: 32101368. PMCID: PMC7075379.
- Narayanasamy G, Morrill S, Cousins D, [et al.]. Radiosurgery for mesial temporal lobe epilepsy following ROSE trial guidelines - A planning comparison between Gamma Knife, Eclipse, and Brainlab. Journal of applied clinical medical physics. 2019 20(10):134-141. PMID: 31532068. PMCID: PMC6806476.
- Buchapudi RR, Manickam R, M R AK, [et al., including Narayanasamy G]. Physical and Radiobiological Evaluation of Accelerated Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy for Locally Advanced Head and Neck Cancer and Comparison with Short-Term Clinical Outcomes. Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention : APJCP. 2019 20(8):2463-2470. PMID: 31450921. PMCID: PMC6852828.
- Bergamo AM, Kauweloa K, Gan G, [et al., including Narayanasamy G]. Correlation between Biological Effective Dose and Radiation-induced Liver Disease from Hypofractionated Radiotherapy. Journal of medical physics. 2019 44(3):185-190. PMID: 31576066. PMCID: PMC6764171.
- Markovic M, Narayanasamy G, Stathakis S, [et al.]. Clinical Evaluation of a Two-dimensional Liquid-Filled Ion chamber Detector Array for Verification of High Modulation Small Fields in Radiotherapy. Journal of medical physics. 2019 44(2):91-98. PMID: 31359926. PMCID: PMC6580813.
- Stathakis S, Narayanasamy G, Licon AL, [et al.]. A dosimetric comparison between volumetric-modulated arc therapy and dynamic conformal arc therapy in SBRT. Journal of B.U.ON. : official journal of the Balkan Union of Oncology. 2019 24(2):838-843. PMID: 31128044.
- Hussain SS, Huang SB, Bedolla RG, [et al., including Narayanasamy G]. Suppression of ribosomal protein RPS6KB1 by Nexrutine increases sensitivity of prostate tumors to radiation. Cancer letters. 2018 433:232-241. PMID: 30003927.
- Narayanasamy G, Desai D, Maraboyina S, [et al.]. A Dose Falloff Gradient Study in RapidArc Planning of Lung Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy. Journal of medical physics. 2018 43(3):147-154. PMID: 30305771. PMCID: PMC6172857.
- Chao M, Wei J, Narayanasamy G, [et al.]. Three-dimensional cluster formation and structure in heterogeneous dose distribution of intensity modulated radiation therapy. Radiotherapy and oncology : journal of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology. 2018 127(2):197-205. PMID: 29609805.
- Narayanasamy G, Desai D, Morrill S, [et al.]. Technical Note: A planning technique to lower normal tissue toxicity in lung SBRT plans based on two likely dependent RTOG metrics. Medical physics. 2018 45(5):2325-2328. PMID: 29480933.
- Zhang X, Rong Y, Morrill S, [et al., including Narayanasamy G]. Robust optimization in lung treatment plans accounting for geometric uncertainty. Journal of applied clinical medical physics. 2018 19(3):19-26. PMID: 29524301. PMCID: PMC5978970.
- Tuazon B, Narayanasamy G, Papanikolaou N, [et al.]. Evaluation and comparison of second-check monitor unit calculation software with Pinnacle3 treatment planning system. Physica medica : PM : an international journal devoted to the applications of physics to medicine and biology : official journal of the Italian Association of Biomedical Physics (AIFB). 2018 45:186-191. PMID: 29472085.
- Narayanasamy G, Saenz DL, Defoor D, [et al.]. Dosimetric validation of Monaco treatment planning system on an Elekta VersaHD linear accelerator. Journal of applied clinical medical physics. 2017 18(6):123-129. PMID: 28944979. PMCID: PMC5689924.
- Narayanasamy G, Stathakis S, Gutierrez AN, [et al.]. A Systematic Analysis of 2 Monoisocentric Techniques for the Treatment of Multiple Brain Metastases. Technology in cancer research & treatment. 2017 16(5):639-644. PMID: 27612917. PMCID: PMC5665155.
- Paudel NR, Narayanasamy G, Han EY, [et al.]. Dosimetric and radiobiological comparison for quality assurance of IMRT and VMAT plans. Journal of applied clinical medical physics. 2017 18(5):237-244. PMID: 28771941. PMCID: PMC5874955.
- Narayanasamy G, Zhang X, Meigooni A, [et al.]. Therapeutic benefits in grid irradiation on Tomotherapy for bulky, radiation-resistant tumors. Acta oncologica (Stockholm, Sweden). 2017 56(8):1043-1047. PMID: 28270018.
- Sharma S, Narayanasamy G, Przybyla B, [et al.]. Advanced Small Animal Conformal Radiation Therapy Device. Technology in cancer research & treatment. 2017 16(1):45-56. PMID: 26792490. PMCID: PMC5616115.
- Sharma S, Narayanasamy G, Clarkson R, [et al.]. Study of Image Qualities From 6D Robot-Based CBCT Imaging System of Small Animal Irradiator. Technology in cancer research & treatment. 2017:1533034617700558. PMID: 28355964. PMCID: PMC5762036.
- Zhang X, Penagaricano J, Narayanasamy G, [et al.]. Helical tomotherapy to LINAC plan conversion utilizing RayStation Fallback planning. Journal of applied clinical medical physics. 2017 18(1):178-185. PMID: 28291935. PMCID: PMC5689873.
- Narayanasamy G, Avila G, Mavroidis P, [et al.]. Comparison of composite prostate radiotherapy plan doses with dependent and independent boost phases. Australasian physical & engineering sciences in medicine. 2016 39(3):727-33. PMID: 27550442.