Young Hye Song, PhD
University of Arkansas (Fayetteville)
College of Engineering
Cancer Research Interest
- Disease Site Focus: Breast, GI
- Research Focus Area: Prevention, Carcinogenesis, Diagnosis/ Prognosis
- Type of Research: Basic
- Research Interest Statement: The overall goal of my research program is to gain a better understanding of cancer-nerve crosstalk using bioengineered in vitro models of the tumor microenvironment. Primarily, I am interested in elucidating the mechanisms of tumor innervation and perineural invasion. Tumor innervation occurs when nerve fibers infiltrate the solid tumor mass, and perineural invasion is where cancer cells invade adjacent nerves leading to metastatic spread. Both modes of cancer-nerve interactions are clinically significant, as increased presence of cancer-nerve crosstalk is correlated with increased aggressiveness and poor patient prognosis. By using tissue engineered platforms containing native-like physicochemical cues, I aim to perform mechanistic investigations on cell-cell interactions and cell-matrix interactions in driving pathological events such as tumor innervation and perineural invasion.
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Kandhola G, Park S, Lim JW, [et al., including Song YH]. Nanomaterial-Based Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering Applications: A Review on Graphene, Carbon Nanotubes and Nanocellulose. Tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. 2023. PMID: 37060487. PMCID: PMC10219911.
- Williams T, Salmanian G, Burns M, [et al., including Song YH]. Versatility of mesenchymal stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles in tissue repair and regenerative applications. Biochimie. 2022. PMID: 36427681.
- Wachs RA, Wellman SM, Porvasnik SL, [et al., including Song YH]. Apoptosis-Decellularized Peripheral Nerve Scaffold Allows Regeneration across Nerve Gap. Cells, tissues, organs. 2022:1-11. PMID: 36030771.
- Gregory E, Baek IH, Ala-Kokko N, [et al., including Song YH]. Peripheral Nerve Decellularization for In Vitro Extracellular Matrix Hydrogel Use: A Comparative Study. ACS biomaterials science & engineering. 2022 8(6):2574-2588. PMID: 35649243. PMCID: PMC9983633.
- Gu I, Gregory E, Atwood C, [et al., including Song YH]. Exploring the Role of Metabolites in Cancer and the Associated Nerve Crosstalk. Nutrients. 2022 14(9). PMID: 35565690. PMCID: PMC9103817.
- Bousalis D, McCrary MW, Vaughn N, [et al., including Song YH]. Decellularized peripheral nerve as an injectable delivery vehicle for neural applications. Journal of biomedical materials research. Part A. 2022 110(3):595-611. PMID: 34590403. PMCID: PMC8742792.
- Song YH, Maynes MA, Hlavac N, [et al.]. Development of novel apoptosis-assisted lung tissue decellularization methods. Biomaterials science. 2021 9(9):3485-3498. PMID: 33949462.
- Mao XH, Zhuang JL, Zhao DD, [et al., including Song YP]. IgH translocation with undefined partners is associated with superior outcome in multiple myeloma patients. European journal of haematology. 2020 105(3):326-334. PMID: 32421883.
- Gregory E, Dugan R, David G, Song YH. The biology and engineered modeling strategies of cancer-nerve crosstalk. Biochimica et biophysica acta. Reviews on cancer. 2020 1874(2):188406. PMID: 32827578.
- McCrary MW, Bousalis D, Mobini S, [et al., including Song YH]. Decellularized tissues as platforms for in vitro modeling of healthy and diseased tissues. Acta biomaterialia. 2020 111:1-19. PMID: 32464269.
- Seo BR, Chen X, Ling L, [et al., including Song YH]. Collagen microarchitecture mechanically controls myofibroblast differentiation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2020 117(21):11387-11398. PMID: 32385149. PMCID: PMC7260976.
- Agrawal NK, Allen P, Song YH, [et al.]. Oligonucleotide-functionalized hydrogels for sustained release of small molecule (aptamer) therapeutics. Acta biomaterialia. 2020 102:315-325. PMID: 31760222.
- McCrary MW, Vaughn NE, Hlavac N, [et al., including Song YH]. Novel Sodium Deoxycholate-Based Chemical Decellularization Method for Peripheral Nerve. Tissue engineering. Part C, Methods. 2020 26(1):23-36. PMID: 31724493.
- Song YH, Agrawal NK, Griffin JM, Schmidt CE. Recent advances in nanotherapeutic strategies for spinal cord injury repair. Advanced drug delivery reviews. 2019 148:38-59. PMID: 30582938. PMCID: PMC6959132.
- Mobini S, Song YH, McCrary MW, Schmidt CE. Advances in exÂ vivo models and lab-on-a-chip devices for neural tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 2019 198:146-166. PMID: 29880219. PMCID: PMC6957334.
- Choi S, Friedrichs J, Song YH, [et al.]. Intrafibrillar, bone-mimetic collagen mineralization regulates breast cancer cell adhesion and migration. Biomaterials. 2019 198:95-106. PMID: 29759731. PMCID: PMC6222013.
- Cornelison RC, Wellman SM, Park JH, [et al., including Song YH]. Development of an apoptosis-assisted decellularization method for maximal preservation of nerve tissue structure. Acta biomaterialia. 2018 77:116-126. PMID: 29981947. PMCID: PMC6126930.
- He F, Chiou AE, Loh HC, [et al., including Song YH]. Multiscale characterization of the mineral phase at skeletal sites of breast cancer metastasis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2017 114(40):10542-10547. PMID: 28923958. PMCID: PMC5635895.
- Song YH, Warncke C, Choi SJ, [et al.]. Breast cancer-derived extracellular vesicles stimulate myofibroblast differentiation and pro-angiogenic behavior of adipose stem cells. Matrix biology : journal of the International Society for Matrix Biology. 2017 60-61:190-205. PMID: 27913195. PMCID: PMC5438891.