Timothy Cody Ashby, MS, PhD
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Cancer Research Interest
- Disease Site Focus: Multiple Myeloma
- Research Focus Area: Informatics
- Type of Research: Population Sciences
- Research Interest Statement: My primary research interest is in bioinformatics and cancer genomics. I have done analysis and implemented various algorithms on thousands of multiple myeloma samples across a variety of sequencing modalities such as targeted panel, reduced representation bisulfite, whole-genome, whole-exome, RNA, CHiP-Seq, Nanopore WGS, and 10X Genomics WGS.
- NIH/Nat. Cancer Institute – 2R01CA209882“Contribution of osteocytes to the musculoskeletal effects of Multiple Myeloma”Co-Investigator07/01/23 – 06/30/28
- UAMS College of Medicine – KL22022“TRI KL2 Scholars award - Ashby”Principal Investigator07/01/22 – 06/30/24
- Sun F, Cheng Y, Ying J, [et al., including Ashby TC]. A gene signature can predict risk of MGUS progressing to multiple myeloma. Journal of hematology & oncology. 2023 16(1):70. PMID: 37386588. PMCID: PMC10308756.
- Mohan M, Gong Z, Ashby TC, [et al.]. Concomitant deletion of the short arm (del(1p13.3)) and amplification or gain (1q21) of chromosome 1 by fluorescence in situ hybridization are associated with a poor clinical outcome in multiple myeloma. Cancer. 2023. PMID: 37282609.
- Choudhury S, Byrum SD, Alkam D, [et al., including Ashby C]. Expression of integrin β-7 is epigenetically enhanced in multiple myeloma subgroups with high-risk cytogenetics. Clinical epigenetics. 2023 15(1):18. PMID: 36737807. PMCID: PMC9898982.
- Bloedjes TA, de Wilde G, Khan GH, [et al., including Ashby TC]. AKT supports the metabolic fitness of multiple myeloma cells by restricting FOXO activity. Blood advances. 2022. PMID: 36322819. PMCID: PMC10182179.
- Rasche L, Schinke C, Maura F, [et al., including Ashby C]. The spatio-temporal evolution of multiple myeloma from baseline to relapse-refractory states. Nature communications. 2022 13(1):4517. PMID: 35922426. PMCID: PMC9349320.
- Gai D, Chen JR, Stewart JP, [et al., including Ashby C]. CST6 suppresses osteolytic bone disease in multiple myeloma by blocking osteoclast differentiation. The Journal of clinical investigation. 2022. PMID: 35881476. PMCID: PMC9479617.
- Ashby C, Boyle EM, Bauer MA, [et al.]. Structural variants shape the genomic landscape and clinical outcome of multiple myeloma. Blood cancer journal. 2022 12(5):85. PMID: 35637217. PMCID: PMC9151656.
- Sudha P, Ahsan A, Ashby C, [et al.]. Myeloma Genome Project Panel is a Comprehensive Targeted Genomics Panel for Molecular Profiling of Patients with Multiple Myeloma. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2022. PMID: 35522533. PMCID: PMC9250632.
- Bomken S, Enshaei A, Schwalbe EC, [et al., including Ashby C]. Molecular characterization and clinical outcome of B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia with IG-MYC rearrangement. Haematologica. 2022. PMID: 35484682. PMCID: PMC9973471.
- Sabol HM, Amorim T, Ashby C, [et al.]. Notch3 signaling between myeloma cells and osteocytes in the tumor niche promotes tumor growth and bone destruction. Neoplasia (New York, N.Y.). 2022 28:100785. PMID: 35390742. PMCID: PMC8990177.
- Mikulasova A, Kent D, Trevisan-Herraz M, [et al., including Ashby C]. Epigenomic translocation of H3K4me3 broad domains over oncogenes following hijacking of super-enhancers. Genome research. 2021. PMID: 34933939. PMCID: PMC9341503.
- Roy Choudhury S, Ashby C, Zhan F, van Rhee F. Epigenetic Deregulation of Telomere-Related Genes in Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma Patients. Cancers. 2021 13(24). PMID: 34944968. PMCID: PMC8699806.
- Jones JR, Barber A, Le Bihan YV, [et al., including Ashby C]. Mutations in CRBN and other cereblon pathway genes are infrequently associated with acquired resistance to immunomodulatory drugs. Leukemia. 2021. PMID: 34373585. PMCID: PMC8478640.
- Boyle EM, Rosenthal A, Ghamlouch H, [et al., including Ashby C]. Plasma cells expression from smouldering myeloma to myeloma reveals the importance of the PRC2 complex, cell cycle progression, and the divergent evolutionary pathways within the different molecular subgroups. Leukemia. 2021. PMID: 34365473.
- Boyle EM, Rosenthal A, Wang Y, [et al., including Ashby C]. High-risk transcriptional profiles in multiple myeloma are an acquired feature that can occur in any subtype and more frequently with each subsequent relapse. British journal of haematology. 2021. PMID: 34244996.
- Boyle EM, Williams L, Blaney P, [et al., including Ashby C]. Improving prognostic assignment in older adults with multiple myeloma using acquired genetic features, clonal hemopoiesis and telomere length. Leukemia. 2021. PMID: 34148053.
- Li C, Xia J, Franqui Machin R, [et al., including Ashby TC]. TRIP13 modulates protein deubiquitination and accelerates tumor development and progression of B cell malignancies. The Journal of clinical investigation. 2021. PMID: 34061780. PMCID: PMC8279583.
- Maura F, Boyle EM, Rustad EH, [et al., including Ashby C]. Chromothripsis as a pathogenic driver of multiple myeloma. Seminars in cell & developmental biology. 2021. PMID: 33958284.
- Wardell CP, Ashby C, Bauer MA. FiNGS: high quality somatic mutations using filters for next generation sequencing. BMC bioinformatics. 2021 22(1):77. PMID: 33602113. PMCID: PMC7890800.
- Landau HJ, Yellapantula V, Diamond BT, [et al., including Ashby C]. Author Correction: Accelerated single cell seeding in relapsed multiple myeloma. Nature communications. 2021 12(1):591. PMID: 33473129. PMCID: PMC7817844.
- Boyle EM, Deshpande S, Tytarenko R, [et al., including Ashby C]. The molecular make up of smoldering myeloma highlights the evolutionary pathways leading to multiple myeloma. Nature communications. 2021 12(1):293. PMID: 33436579. PMCID: PMC7804406.
- Rustad EH, Yellapantula VD, Glodzik D, [et al., including Ashby C]. Revealing the impact of structural variants in multiple myeloma. Blood cancer discovery. 2020 1(3):258-273. PMID: 33392515. PMCID: PMC7774871.
- Danziger SA, McConnell M, Gockley J, [et al., including Ashby C]. Bone marrow microenvironments that contribute to patient outcomes in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: A cohort study of patients in the Total Therapy clinical trials. PLoS medicine. 2020 17(11):e1003323. PMID: 33147277. PMCID: PMC7641353.
- Deshpande S, Tytarenko RG, Wang Y, [et al., including Ashby C]. Monitoring treatment response and disease progression in myeloma with circulating cell-free DNA. European journal of haematology. 2020. PMID: 33107092.
- Choudhury SR, Ashby C, Tytarenko R, [et al.]. The functional epigenetic landscape of aberrant gene expression in molecular subgroups of newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Journal of hematology & oncology. 2020 13(1):108. PMID: 32762714. PMCID: PMC7409490.
- Landau HJ, Yellapantula V, Diamond BT, [et al., including Ashby C]. Accelerated single cell seeding in relapsed multiple myeloma. Nature communications. 2020 11(1):3617. PMID: 32680998. PMCID: PMC7368016.
- Schinke C, Boyle EM, Ashby C, [et al.]. Genomic analysis of primary plasma cell leukemia reveals complex structural alterations and high-risk mutational patterns. Blood cancer journal. 2020 10(6):70. PMID: 32555163. PMCID: PMC7303180.
- Ashby C, Rutherford M, Bauer MA, [et al.]. TarPan: an easily adaptable targeted sequencing panel viewer for research and clinical use. BMC bioinformatics. 2020 21(1):144. PMID: 32293247. PMCID: PMC7158102.
- Bauer MA, Ashby C, Wardell C, [et al.]. Differential RNA splicing as a potentially important driver mechanism in multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2020. PMID: 32079689. PMCID: PMC7927887.
- Boyle EM, Ashby C, Tytarenko R, [et al.]. BRAF and DIS3 Mutations Associate with Adverse Outcome in a Long-term Follow-up of Patients with Multiple Myeloma. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2020. PMID: 31988198.
- Rasche L, Alapat D, Kumar M, [et al., including Ashby C]. Combination of flow cytometry and functional imaging for monitoring of residual disease in myeloma. Leukemia. 2019 33(7):1713-1722. PMID: 30573775. PMCID: PMC6586541.
- Jones JR, Weinhold N, Ashby C, [et al.]. Clonal evolution in myeloma: the impact of maintenance lenalidomide and depth of response on the genetics and sub-clonal structure of relapsed disease in uniformly treated newly diagnosed patients. Haematologica. 2019 104(7):1440-1450. PMID: 30733268. PMCID: PMC6601103.
- Mikulasova A, Ashby C, Tytarenko RG, [et al.]. Microhomology-mediated end joining drives complex rearrangements and overexpression of MYC and PVT1 in multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2019. PMID: 31221783. PMCID: PMC7109748.
- Ashby C, Tytarenko RG, Wang Y, [et al.]. Poor overall survival in hyperhaploid multiple myeloma is defined by double-hit bi-allelic inactivation of TP53. Oncotarget. 2019 10(7):732-737. PMID: 30774775. PMCID: PMC6366829.
- Walker BA, Mavrommatis K, Wardell CP, [et al., including Ashby TC]. A high-risk, Double-Hit, group of newly diagnosed myeloma identified by genomic analysis. Leukemia. 2019 33(1):159-170. PMID: 29967379. PMCID: PMC6326953.
- Ashby C, Peterson EA, Bauer M, Johann DJ. A Scalable and Adaptive Approach for NGS Analyses Leveraging High-Performance Computing. Pathological Specimens and Genomics Medicine: Emerging Issues. 2019:248.
- Boyle EM, Ashby C, Wardell CP, [et al.]. The genomic landscape of plasma cells in systemic light chain amyloidosis. Blood. 2018 132(26):2775-2777. PMID: 30446495.
- Walker BA, Mavrommatis K, Wardell CP, [et al., including Ashby TC]. Identification of novel mutational drivers reveals oncogene dependencies in multiple myeloma. Blood. 2018 132(6):587-597. PMID: 29884741. PMCID: PMC6097138.
- Pawlyn C, Loehr A, Ashby C, [et al.]. Loss of heterozygosity as a marker of homologous repair deficiency in multiple myeloma: a role for PARP inhibition?. Leukemia. 2018 32(7):1561-1566. PMID: 29467487. PMCID: PMC6035152.
- Causey JL, Ashby C, Walker K, [et al.]. DNAp: A Pipeline for DNA-seq Data Analysis. Scientific reports. 2018 8(1):6793. PMID: 29717215. PMCID: PMC5931599.
- Thanendrarajan S, Tian E, Qu P, [et al., including Ashby C]. The level of deletion 17p and bi-allelic inactivation of TP53 has a significant impact on clinical outcome in multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2017 102(9):e364-e367. PMID: 28550191. PMCID: PMC5685226.
- Rasche L, Chavan SS, Stephens OW, [et al., including Ashby C]. Spatial genomic heterogeneity in multiple myeloma revealed by multi-region sequencing. Nature communications. 2017 8(1):268. PMID: 28814763. PMCID: PMC5559527.
- Chavan SS, He J, Tytarenko R, [et al., including Ashby C]. Bi-allelic inactivation is more prevalent at relapse in multiple myeloma, identifying RB1 as an independent prognostic marker. Blood cancer journal. 2017 7(2):e535. PMID: 28234347. PMCID: PMC5386330.
- Weinhold N, Ashby C, Rasche L, [et al.]. Clonal selection and double-hit events involving tumor suppressor genes underlie relapse in myeloma. Blood. 2016 128(13):1735-44. PMID: 27516441. PMCID: PMC5043128.