Christopher Paul Wardell, DrPH
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Cancer Research Interest
- Disease Site Focus: Brain, Breast, Multiple Myeloma
- Research Focus Area: Informatics
- Type of Research: Clinical
- Research Interest Statement: A brief and broad description is that I work on cancer genomics, radiomics and bioinformatics. I have a long history of working onmultiple myeloma, which I am continuing, and am also beginning a project involving gliomas. My specific contributions to projectsare bioinformatic, mostly sequencing analysis, and I'm expanding into imaging analysis and machine learning.
- Langston RG, Pinckard-Dover H, Guzman G, [et al., including Wardell CP]. Intracranial hematolymphoid malignancies: A case series with molecular characterization. Clinical neurology and neurosurgery. 2023 233:107928. PMID: 37573681.
- Ashby C, Boyle EM, Bauer MA, [et al., including Wardell CP]. Structural variants shape the genomic landscape and clinical outcome of multiple myeloma. Blood cancer journal. 2022 12(5):85. PMID: 35637217. PMCID: PMC9151656.
- Śmiech M, Leszczyński P, Wardell C, [et al.]. Oncogenic Mutation BRAF V600E Changes Phenotypic Behavior of THLE-2 Liver Cells through Alteration of Gene Expression. International journal of molecular sciences. 2022 23(3). PMID: 35163468. PMCID: PMC8836259.
- Ma L, Peterson EA, Shin IJ, [et al., including Wardell C]. An advanced molecular medicine case report of a rare human tumor using genomics, pathomics, and radiomics. Frontiers in genetics. 2022 13:987175. PMID: 36846293. PMCID: PMC9951004.
- Reed MR, Lyle AG, De Loose A, [et al., including Wardell CP]. A Functional Precision Medicine Pipeline Combines Comparative Transcriptomics and Tumor Organoid Modeling to Identify Bespoke Treatment Strategies for Glioblastoma. Cells. 2021 10(12). PMID: 34943910. PMCID: PMC8699481.
- Wardell CP, Darrigues E, De Loose A, [et al.]. Genomic and Transcriptomic Profiling of Brain Metastases. Cancers. 2021 13(22). PMID: 34830758. PMCID: PMC8615723.
- Jones JR, Barber A, Le Bihan YV, [et al., including Wardell CP]. Mutations in CRBN and other cereblon pathway genes are infrequently associated with acquired resistance to immunomodulatory drugs. Leukemia. 2021. PMID: 34373585. PMCID: PMC8478640.
- Boyle EM, Rosenthal A, Ghamlouch H, [et al., including Wardell CP]. Plasma cells expression from smouldering myeloma to myeloma reveals the importance of the PRC2 complex, cell cycle progression, and the divergent evolutionary pathways within the different molecular subgroups. Leukemia. 2021. PMID: 34365473.
- Boyle EM, Rosenthal A, Wang Y, [et al., including Wardell CP]. High-risk transcriptional profiles in multiple myeloma are an acquired feature that can occur in any subtype and more frequently with each subsequent relapse. British journal of haematology. 2021. PMID: 34244996.
- Wardell CP, Ashby C, Bauer MA. FiNGS: high quality somatic mutations using filters for next generation sequencing. BMC bioinformatics. 2021 22(1):77. PMID: 33602113. PMCID: PMC7890800.
- Boyle EM, Deshpande S, Tytarenko R, [et al., including Wardell CP]. The molecular make up of smoldering myeloma highlights the evolutionary pathways leading to multiple myeloma. Nature communications. 2021 12(1):293. PMID: 33436579. PMCID: PMC7804406.
- Langston RG, Wardell CP, Palmer A, [et al.]. Primary glioblastoma of the cauda equina with molecular and histopathological characterization: Case report. Neuro-oncology advances. 2021 3(1):vdab154. PMID: 34765976. PMCID: PMC8577522.
- Śmiech M, Leszczyński P, Kono H, [et al., including Wardell C]. Emerging BRAF Mutations in Cancer Progression and Their Possible Effects on Transcriptional Networks. Genes. 2020 11(11). PMID: 33198372. PMCID: PMC7697059.
- Taylor EM, Byrum SD, Edmondson JL, [et al., including Wardell CP]. Proteogenomic analysis of melanoma brain metastases from distinct anatomical sites identifies pathways of metastatic progression. Acta neuropathologica communications. 2020 8(1):157. PMID: 32891176. PMCID: PMC7487560.
- Schinke C, Boyle EM, Ashby C, [et al., including Wardell C]. Genomic analysis of primary plasma cell leukemia reveals complex structural alterations and high-risk mutational patterns. Blood cancer journal. 2020 10(6):70. PMID: 32555163. PMCID: PMC7303180.
- Ashby C, Rutherford M, Bauer MA, [et al., including Wardell CP]. TarPan: an easily adaptable targeted sequencing panel viewer for research and clinical use. BMC bioinformatics. 2020 21(1):144. PMID: 32293247. PMCID: PMC7158102.
- Bauer MA, Ashby C, Wardell C, [et al.]. Differential RNA splicing as a potentially important driver mechanism in multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2020. PMID: 32079689. PMCID: PMC7927887.
- Boyle EM, Ashby C, Tytarenko R, [et al., including Wardell CP]. BRAF and DIS3 Mutations Associate with Adverse Outcome in a Long-term Follow-up of Patients with Multiple Myeloma. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2020. PMID: 31988198.
- Boyle EM, Leleu X, Petillon MO, [et al., including Wardell CP]. Daratumumab and dexamethasone is safe and effective for triple refractory myeloma patients: final results of the IFM 2014-04 (Etoile du Nord) trial. British journal of haematology. 2019 187(3):319-327. PMID: 31218679.
- Sawyer JR, Tian E, Walker BA, [et al., including Wardell C]. An acquired high-risk chromosome instability phenotype in multiple myeloma: Jumping 1q Syndrome. Blood cancer journal. 2019 9(8):62. PMID: 31399558. PMCID: PMC6689064.
- Rasche L, Alapat D, Kumar M, [et al., including Wardell CP]. Combination of flow cytometry and functional imaging for monitoring of residual disease in myeloma. Leukemia. 2019 33(7):1713-1722. PMID: 30573775. PMCID: PMC6586541.
- Jones JR, Weinhold N, Ashby C, [et al., including Wardell C]. Clonal evolution in myeloma: the impact of maintenance lenalidomide and depth of response on the genetics and sub-clonal structure of relapsed disease in uniformly treated newly diagnosed patients. Haematologica. 2019 104(7):1440-1450. PMID: 30733268. PMCID: PMC6601103.
- Mikulasova A, Ashby C, Tytarenko RG, [et al., including Wardell CP]. Microhomology-mediated end joining drives complex rearrangements and overexpression of MYC and PVT1 in multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2019. PMID: 31221783. PMCID: PMC7109748.
- Ashby C, Tytarenko RG, Wang Y, [et al., including Wardell CP]. Poor overall survival in hyperhaploid multiple myeloma is defined by double-hit bi-allelic inactivation of TP53. Oncotarget. 2019 10(7):732-737. PMID: 30774775. PMCID: PMC6366829.
- Walker BA, Mavrommatis K, Wardell CP, [et al.]. A high-risk, Double-Hit, group of newly diagnosed myeloma identified by genomic analysis. Leukemia. 2019 33(1):159-170. PMID: 29967379. PMCID: PMC6326953.
- Boyle EM, Ashby C, Wardell CP, [et al.]. The genomic landscape of plasma cells in systemic light chain amyloidosis. Blood. 2018 132(26):2775-2777. PMID: 30446495.