Michael A Bauer, PhD
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Cancer Research Interest
- Disease Site Focus: Breast, Multiple Myeloma
- Research Focus Area: Health Disparities, Informatics, Diagnosis/ Prognosis
- Type of Research: Basic
- Research Interest Statement: I am a bioinformatician that specializes in cancer genomics using Next Generation Sequencing and the integration of heterogeneous datasets. My main focus has been in understanding the genomic and transcriptomic disruption that occurs in Multiple Myeloma and their effects on prognosis. Additionally, I am interested in studying cancer disparities in minority and rural populations.
- Cheng Y, Sun F, Alapat DV, [et al., including Bauer MA]. High NEK2 expression in myeloid progenitors suppresses T cell immunity in multiple myeloma. Cell reports. Medicine. 2023 4(10):101214. PMID: 37794587. PMCID: PMC10591052.
- Ling W, Johnson SK, Mehdi SJ, [et al., including Bauer M]. EDNRA-Expressing Mesenchymal Cells Are Expanded in Myeloma Interstitial Bone Marrow and Associated with Disease Progression. Cancers. 2023 15(18). PMID: 37760488. PMCID: PMC10526862.
- Boyle EM, Blaney P, Stoeckle JH, [et al., including Bauer M]. Multiomic mapping of acquired chromosome 1 copy number and structural variants to identify therapeutic vulnerabilities in multiple myeloma. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2023. PMID: 37449980.
- Hsu PC, Daughters SB, Bauer MA, [et al.]. Association of DNA methylation signatures with cognitive performance among smokers and ex-smokers. Tobacco induced diseases. 2023 21:106. PMID: 37605769. PMCID: PMC10405227.
- Schinke C, Poos AM, Bauer MA, [et al.]. Characterizing the role of the immune microenvironment in multiple myeloma progression at a single-cell level. Blood advances. 2022. PMID: 35977111. PMCID: PMC9647426.
- Rasche L, Schinke C, Maura F, [et al., including Bauer MA]. The spatio-temporal evolution of multiple myeloma from baseline to relapse-refractory states. Nature communications. 2022 13(1):4517. PMID: 35922426. PMCID: PMC9349320.
- Ashby C, Boyle EM, Bauer MA, [et al.]. Structural variants shape the genomic landscape and clinical outcome of multiple myeloma. Blood cancer journal. 2022 12(5):85. PMID: 35637217. PMCID: PMC9151656.
- Bauer MA, Todorova VK, Stone A, [et al.]. Genome-Wide DNA Methylation Signatures Predict the Early Asymptomatic Doxorubicin-Induced Cardiotoxicity in Breast Cancer. Cancers. 2021 13(24). PMID: 34944912. PMCID: PMC8699582.
- Ghamlouch H, Boyle EM, Blaney P, [et al., including Bauer M]. Insights into high-risk multiple myeloma from an analysis of the role of PHF19 in cancer. Journal of experimental & clinical cancer research : CR. 2021 40(1):380. PMID: 34857028. PMCID: PMC8638425.
- Boyle EM, Rosenthal A, Ghamlouch H, [et al., including Bauer M]. Plasma cells expression from smouldering myeloma to myeloma reveals the importance of the PRC2 complex, cell cycle progression, and the divergent evolutionary pathways within the different molecular subgroups. Leukemia. 2021. PMID: 34365473.
- Boyle EM, Rosenthal A, Wang Y, [et al., including Bauer M]. High-risk transcriptional profiles in multiple myeloma are an acquired feature that can occur in any subtype and more frequently with each subsequent relapse. British journal of haematology. 2021. PMID: 34244996.
- Boyle EM, Williams L, Blaney P, [et al., including Bauer M]. Improving prognostic assignment in older adults with multiple myeloma using acquired genetic features, clonal hemopoiesis and telomere length. Leukemia. 2021. PMID: 34148053.
- Stahr S, Chiang TC, Bauer MA, [et al.]. Low‑Level Environmental Heavy Metals are Associated with Obesity Among Postmenopausal Women in a Southern State. Exposure and health. 2021 13(2):269-280. PMID: 34337191. PMCID: PMC8323941.
- Maura F, Boyle EM, Rustad EH, [et al., including Bauer M]. Chromothripsis as a pathogenic driver of multiple myeloma. Seminars in cell & developmental biology. 2021. PMID: 33958284.
- Wardell CP, Ashby C, Bauer MA. FiNGS: high quality somatic mutations using filters for next generation sequencing. BMC bioinformatics. 2021 22(1):77. PMID: 33602113. PMCID: PMC7890800.
- Boyle EM, Deshpande S, Tytarenko R, [et al., including Bauer MA]. The molecular make up of smoldering myeloma highlights the evolutionary pathways leading to multiple myeloma. Nature communications. 2021 12(1):293. PMID: 33436579. PMCID: PMC7804406.
- Danziger SA, McConnell M, Gockley J, [et al., including Bauer M]. Bone marrow microenvironments that contribute to patient outcomes in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: A cohort study of patients in the Total Therapy clinical trials. PLoS medicine. 2020 17(11):e1003323. PMID: 33147277. PMCID: PMC7641353.
- Choudhury SR, Ashby C, Tytarenko R, [et al., including Bauer M]. The functional epigenetic landscape of aberrant gene expression in molecular subgroups of newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Journal of hematology & oncology. 2020 13(1):108. PMID: 32762714. PMCID: PMC7409490.
- Ashby C, Rutherford M, Bauer MA, [et al.]. TarPan: an easily adaptable targeted sequencing panel viewer for research and clinical use. BMC bioinformatics. 2020 21(1):144. PMID: 32293247. PMCID: PMC7158102.
- Bauer MA, Ashby C, Wardell C, [et al.]. Differential RNA splicing as a potentially important driver mechanism in multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2020. PMID: 32079689. PMCID: PMC7927887.
- Boyle EM, Ashby C, Tytarenko R, [et al., including Bauer MA]. BRAF and DIS3 Mutations Associate with Adverse Outcome in a Long-term Follow-up of Patients with Multiple Myeloma. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2020. PMID: 31988198.
- Kiffer F, Alexander T, Anderson J, [et al., including Bauer M]. Late Effects of (1)H + (16)O on Short-Term and Object Memory, Hippocampal Dendritic Morphology and Mutagenesis. Frontiers in behavioral neuroscience. 2020 14:96. PMID: 32670032. PMCID: PMC7332779.
- Rasche L, Alapat D, Kumar M, [et al., including Bauer M]. Combination of flow cytometry and functional imaging for monitoring of residual disease in myeloma. Leukemia. 2019 33(7):1713-1722. PMID: 30573775. PMCID: PMC6586541.
- Mikulasova A, Ashby C, Tytarenko RG, [et al., including Bauer MA]. Microhomology-mediated end joining drives complex rearrangements and overexpression of MYC and PVT1 in multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 2019. PMID: 31221783. PMCID: PMC7109748.
- Ashby C, Tytarenko RG, Wang Y, [et al., including Bauer M]. Poor overall survival in hyperhaploid multiple myeloma is defined by double-hit bi-allelic inactivation of TP53. Oncotarget. 2019 10(7):732-737. PMID: 30774775. PMCID: PMC6366829.
- Walker BA, Mavrommatis K, Wardell CP, [et al., including Bauer M]. A high-risk, Double-Hit, group of newly diagnosed myeloma identified by genomic analysis. Leukemia. 2019 33(1):159-170. PMID: 29967379. PMCID: PMC6326953.
- Ashby C, Peterson EA, Bauer M, Johann DJ. A Scalable and Adaptive Approach for NGS Analyses Leveraging High-Performance Computing. Pathological Specimens and Genomics Medicine: Emerging Issues. 2019:248.
- Boyle EM, Ashby C, Wardell CP, [et al., including Bauer MA]. The genomic landscape of plasma cells in systemic light chain amyloidosis. Blood. 2018 132(26):2775-2777. PMID: 30446495.