Charles A O'Brien, PhD
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
College of Medicine
Cancer Research Interest
- Disease Site Focus: Musculoskeletal
- Research Focus Area: Carcinogenesis
- Type of Research: Basic
- Research Interest Statement: I am a skeletal biologist and my research focuses on the mechanisms that control bone remodeling, a process which is disrupted by cancers such as myeloma or breast cancer metastasis.
- NIH/Nat. Inst. of General Medical Sciences – 2P20GM125503“Center for Musculoskeletal Disease Research (CMDR)”Principal Investigator04/01/23 – 01/31/28
- NIH/Nat. Inst. of Arthritis & Musculoskeletal & Skin Diseases – 2R01AR049794“Osteocyte Control of Bone Remodeling”Principal Investigator04/01/22 – 03/31/27
- NIH/Nat. Inst. on Aging – 1R01AG068449“Different consequences of cellular aging in cortical versus cancellous bone”Co-Investigator04/01/21 – 12/31/25
- Palmieri M, Joseph TE, O'Brien CA, [et al.]. Deletion of the scavenger receptor Scarb1 in osteoblast progenitors does not affect bone mass. PloS one. 2022 17(3):e0265893. PMID: 35349600. PMCID: PMC8963559.
- Sherman AC, Simonton-Atchley S, O'Brien CE, [et al.]. Associations Between Religious/Spiritual Coping and Depression Among Adults with Cystic Fibrosis: A 12-Month Longitudinal Study. Journal of religion and health. 2021. PMID: 33575892.
- Kim HN, Xiong J, MacLeod RS, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. Osteocyte RANKL is required for cortical bone loss with age and is induced by senescence. JCI insight. 2020 5(19). PMID: 32870816. PMCID: PMC7566701.
- Plotkin M, O'Brien CA, Goellner J, [et al.]. A Uromodulin Mutation Drives Autoimmunity and Kidney Mononuclear Phagocyte Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress. The American journal of pathology. 2020. PMID: 32926855. PMCID: PMC7722528.
- Cawley KM, Bustamante-Gomez NC, Guha AG, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. Local Production of Osteoprotegerin by Osteoblasts Suppresses Bone Resorption. Cell reports. 2020 32(10):108052. PMID: 32905775. PMCID: PMC7493998.
- Sherman AC, Simonton-Atchley S, O'Brien CE, [et al.]. Longitudinal associations between gratitude and depression 1 year later among adult cystic fibrosis patients. Journal of behavioral medicine. 2020 43(4):596-604. PMID: 31254218.
- MacLeod RS, Cawley KM, Gubrij I, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. Effective CRISPR interference of an endogenous gene via a single transgene in mice. Scientific reports. 2019 9(1):17312. PMID: 31754144. PMCID: PMC6872636.
- Teeter B, Stafford R, Payakachat N, [et al., including O'Brien C]. Student Pharmacists' Use of Patient-Centered Communication Skills During an Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience. American journal of pharmaceutical education. 2019 83(8):7244. PMID: 31831904. PMCID: PMC6900811.
- Sherman AC, Simonton-Atchley S, Campbell D, [et al., including O'Brien CE]. Persistent Adherence to Airway Clearance Therapy in Adults With Cystic Fibrosis. Respiratory care. 2019 64(7):778-785. PMID: 30890632.
- Zimmerman SM, Heard-Lipsmeyer ME, Dimori M, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. Loss of RANKL in osteocytes dramatically increases cancellous bone mass in the osteogenesis imperfecta mouse (oim). Bone reports. 2018 9:61-73. PMID: 30105276. PMCID: PMC6077550.
- O'Brien CA, Morello R. Modeling Rare Bone Diseases in Animals. Current osteoporosis reports. 2018 16(4):458-465. PMID: 29802575. PMCID: PMC6041139.
- Xiong J, Cawley K, Piemontese M, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. Soluble RANKL contributes to osteoclast formation in adult mice but not ovariectomy-induced bone loss. Nature communications. 2018 9(1):2909. PMID: 30046091. PMCID: PMC6060116.
- Xiong J, Almeida M, O'Brien CA. The YAP/TAZ transcriptional co-activators have opposing effects at different stages of osteoblast differentiation. Bone. 2018 112:1-9. PMID: 29626544. PMCID: PMC5970058.
- Lee SM, Meyer MB, Benkusky NA, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. The impact of VDR expression and regulation in vivo. The Journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology. 2018 177:36-45. PMID: 28602960. PMCID: PMC5723236.
- Weinstein RS, Hogan EA, Borrelli MJ, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. The Pathophysiological Sequence of Glucocorticoid-Induced Osteonecrosis of the Femoral Head in Male Mice. Endocrinology. 2017 158(11):3817-3831. PMID: 28938402. PMCID: PMC5695837.
- Piemontese M, Almeida M, Robling AG, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. Old age causes de novo intracortical bone remodeling and porosity in mice. JCI insight. 2017 2(17). PMID: 28878136. PMCID: PMC5621920.
- Kim HN, Chang J, Shao L, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. DNA damage and senescence in osteoprogenitors expressing Osx1 may cause their decrease with age. Aging cell. 2017 16(4):693-703. PMID: 28401730. PMCID: PMC5506444.
- Ucer S, Iyer S, Kim HN, [et al., including O'Brien C]. The Effects of Aging and Sex Steroid Deficiency on the Murine Skeleton Are Independent and Mechanistically Distinct. Journal of bone and mineral research : the official journal of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. 2017 32(3):560-574. PMID: 27714847. PMCID: PMC5340621.
- Fil D, DeLoach A, Yadav S, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. Mutant Profilin1 transgenic mice recapitulate cardinal features of motor neuron disease. Human molecular genetics. 2017 26(4):686-701. PMID: 28040732. PMCID: PMC5968635.
- Almeida M, Laurent MR, Dubois V, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. Estrogens and Androgens in Skeletal Physiology and Pathophysiology. Physiological reviews. 2017 97(1):135-187. PMID: 27807202. PMCID: PMC5539371.
- Fujiwara Y, Piemontese M, Liu Y, [et al., including O'Brien CA]. RANKL (Receptor Activator of NFκB Ligand) Produced by Osteocytes Is Required for the Increase in B Cells and Bone Loss Caused by Estrogen Deficiency in Mice. The Journal of biological chemistry. 2016 291(48):24838-24850. PMID: 27733688. PMCID: PMC5122756.